As we move through our days, we experience so much in our own lives, work, and interactions. We are affected by the environment around us and global events. Some of us feel so much! I have always been sensitive to outside stimulus and had strong empathy for suffering. This is the gift of the healer and the artist. It can also be overwhelming and exhausting. Having strategies to release and express can provide relief. Art expression is be an excellent and effective tool. This week has been especially affecting as we navigate the news from the Middle East. Finding ways to care for ourselves can help us be more available to be present and to act as an agent for change.
I am offering a series of simple ‘Art Cures’ exercises to support you to take a few minutes out of your day to tap into the healing properties of creativity on my social media. You can follow the full series on Facebook and Instagram. This week’s exercise is as follows.
Exercise: Draw Your Emotions in Response to Current Events
Time: 10 Minutes or More
- Get out your drawing pad, or any materials you have on hand (pen and paper, etc).
- Take a few deep breaths and pay attention to your emotions. Are you Angry? Fearful? Confused?
- Start drawing with ‘I feel’ in your mind, let the images come in response.
- When you are done, find a title for your drawing.
- Repeat as needed throughout the week.
Our emotions are short lived if we can find a proper outlet. Give yourself the opportunity to release them…
Please feel free to send me an email to share any images and reflections that arise from the exercise.